Friday, July 15, 2016

Power Rangers first look: Becky G breaks down new fight scene with Elizabeth Banks


Becky G - Shower

Rita Repulsa (Elizabeth Banks) is about to have such a headache. When the Power Rangers villainess arrives to conquer Earth in the upcoming big-screen reboot of the franchise, five teens with attitude will stand in her way. In an attempt to take them down one by one, she ambushes Yellow Ranger Trini (singer Becky G) in her bedroom, but Trini puts up a fight a fight that eventually has her pinned against the wall.

Below, Becky G the youngest member of the cast at 19 talks filming the showdown and getting to, in her first film role, act opposite Banks:

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Things arent looking so great for Trini in this photo. Why is Rita after her?BECKY G: Rita tries to make Trini feel like shes the weakest link of the Power Rangers, and she feels its easiest to go for her. Ritas the type to play a lot of mind games, and Trinis [thinking], Can I really overpower Rita Repulsa or can I not?

Ritas attack even cracks the wall behind Trini. What was it like filming the fight?When we did our blocking, our run through, Elizabeth and I really wanted& to make it fun, to make this scene as real as possible. Actually, I got to run through the wall a couple of times. I got thrown up against it and I got to break it myself. My stunt double of course was there, talking me through it, but I was really, really excited. It was a bit intimidating for me because, you know, its Elizabeth! I look up to her a lot as an actress, so getting to work one on one with her is really cool. I learned a lot, and there were moments when I had to hit her, and I was like, Oh my G*d, I hope I dont actually hit her! She really let me be hands on in a lot of the fighting, so it was cool.

RELATED:See Elizabeth Banks as Rita Repulsa in upcoming Power Rangers reboot

Got any cuts and scrapes from all that fighting?So many. [Laughs] Elizabeth went in in costume in the entire movie, and, you know, even for us in our Power Rangers suits, theyre not the most comfortable [to fight in], so to have to do action scenes in a costume, its pretty brutal. She chokes me and throws me up against a wall, and I actually told her, Dont be afraid to put pressure on my neck. [Laughs] Little did I know the next day Id actually have bruises and feel a little sore.

What was it like for you the first time you saw her walk on set in full costume?For me, it was so cool, because [during our rehearsals], were just hanging out in our regular civilian clothes, in sweats and stuff, but then when we went in to film it, there were all kinds of people there, and I feel the pressure, because, you know, its my first film, and Im working with A-list actors like Elizabeth. I was nervous. And then when she walks in, not in sweatpants but in full Rita Repulsa costume, Im like, This is gonna be so easy, because she looks so real!

Aside from Elizabeths dramatic makeover, what else do you remember about finally filming the scene?It was just funny. There were times when were wearing harnesses and you have to be, like, hung up, so were not actually being thrown around, but its awkward. There were just times when I was in my harness hanging there like a little piata just waiting to get thrown into the wall by Elizabeth, so little things like that cracked us up. Theres a part where shes hovering over me, and to get the coverage, at one point she was just, like, on top of me, and were just there having a normal conversation. It was really fun.

Youre a singer, and Elizabeth sings she did direct Pitch Perfect 2, after all. Did you two ever duet?No, [there was] no singing. [Laughs] I was actually really really focused the days I was with her, memorizing my lines and not missing the stunt choreography and stuff, but there were little hums every now and then coming from me. We were really focused on executing what we had to do, simply because we didnt have much time to film the whole movie.

Did you get a chance to hang out with her outside of filming?I mean, when we had blocking and stuff, she was super cool to hang out with and be around, but no. You know, she has kids, shes a mama! So any down time she has, she has to spend with her family. And I adore that so much. I love that about her, that every time we would sit down and have a conversation, wed ask how the little ones were doing, and we know theyre such fans of the Rita makeup. [Theyre] always like, Oh my G*d, thats my mom! It was funny.

Theres still about eight months left until Power Rangers hits theaters. How much do you have left to do?Were done with the majority of filming now. We have some reshoots coming up which Im excited for, because Ill get to see everybody again. We have Comic-Con before that, which is even more exciting because itll be my first time ever. Honestly, Ive had plenty of opportunities to go before, because my dad works for a really big toy company. He takes my brother every single year, and hes always offered for me and my other siblings to go, and Im always like, no, Ill go eventually. Little did I know I would be going as an official Power Ranger. [Laughs]

Well, congrats on your first Comic-Con! What are you most excited to see?Just overall, the whole experience. Theres so many people in costume and so many die-hard fans, and Im more excited to meet the Power Rangers fanatics and learning more about what Im doing. I was a fan growing up, but its still, like, a whole new world to be able to share this new insight with the new and old Power Rangers fans. [My castmates and I] have our little Power Rangers WhatsApp group chat, because were all in different parts of the world. Youve got Ludi [Lin, who plays the Black Ranger] in China, youve got Dacre [Montgomery, who plays the Red Ranger] in Australia, and Naomi [Scott, who plays the Pink Ranger] in the U.K. RJ [Cyler, who plays the Blue Ranger] and I are the only ones who live in L.A., so he came by to visit me in the studio. Were all really looking forward to going. From what I hear, its like going to a whole other world.

Power Rangers arrives in theaters March 24, 2017.

A version of this story appears in this weeks issue of Entertainment Weekly, on newsstands Friday. Buy it here and subscribe now for more exclusive interviews and photos, only in EW.

Source: http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/14/power-rangers-becky-g-elizabeth-banks-rita-repulsa-first-look

No comments:

Post a Comment